"Heavy items" are typically items that weigh 250 pounds or more. Movement of these items almost always requires three or more movers, especially for items that require special handling or if stairs are involved.
Are My Items Heavy?
Examples of items we typically classify as heavy or normal are listed below. If you're unsure how to classify a specific item we recommend looking up the specifications online. The shipping weight is often the most accurate figure.
Common Heavy Items
- Piano, Organ
- Safe, Gun Safe
- Most Furniture with Marble, Granite or Stone(Including bathroom vanities)
- Dense Wood Furniture(Oak, Maple, Walnut)
- Non-Standard Home Gym Equipment(Commercial of Professional Grade Treadmill, Elliptical, etc)
- Large Dimension Glass(Usually 3/4" or Greater Thickness)
- Large Aquarium(Empty, 120+ Gallons)
- Single Slate Pool Table
- Hot Tub
- Specialty Equipment(Pottery Kiln, Commercial Printers, Arcade Game etc)
Common Normal Items
- Electric Piano, Keyboard
- Gun Cabinet, Locker
- Dresser, Kitchen/Dining Table, Nightstand
- Futon, Couch, Sleeper Sofa, Recliner
- Standard Home Gym Equipment(Treadmill, Elliptical, etc)
- Bed Frame, Mattress
- Bookcase, Bookshelf
- Children's Pool Table, Ping Pong
- Washer, Dryer, Television
- Armoire, Wardrobe
Fees & Requirements
Learn about policies related to the movement of heavy items.
Policies In Effect Through 3/30/2018
Read more about our policies for reservations made on or before 3/30/2018.
We do not currently charge a fee to move heavy items. We do, however, require a specific number of movers to be scheduled so that the heavy item(s) can be moved safely.
250 - 400 Pounds, Upright Piano
We require a minimum of three movers when an individual item is within this weight threshold.
400 - 600 Pounds, Oversized Upright Piano
We require a minimum of four movers when an individual item is within this weight threshold.
Grand/Baby Grand Piano
We do not currently move baby grand or grand pianos.
Policies Effective On 3/31/2018
Read more about our policies for reservations made on or after 3/31/2018.
Moving companies listed on our site set their own rules and requirements for heavy items. If a mover requires a fee or additional manpower for moving a heavy item they will automatically be reflected on each mover's profile after you've added the heavy item to your search criteria. Heavy items are classified as:
- Baby Grand Piano
- Grand Piano
- Gun Safe
- Oversized Upright Piano
- Standard Upright Piano
- Unlisted, Over 300 lbs
- Unlisted, Over 500 lbs
- Unlisted, Over 800 lbs
Have a piano? Learn more about moving a piano.